The Dementia Aware Friends Project is a WA state government funded initiative, in which volunteers are trained to become Dementia Aware Friends. The project is part of the WA Dementia-Friendly Communities project.
Objectives of the Dementia Aware Friends Project The purpose of the project is to:
- Increase community understanding and awareness of dementia.'
- Reduce the stigma associated with dementia.
- Create dementia-friendly communities that positively supports people living with dementia including their families.
- Inspire change in the attitude towards people with dementia.
This will be achieved through awareness talks and displays at public events and shopping centres.
What is a Dementia Aware Friend?
A Dementia Aware Friend is a volunteer who spreads the message to friends, family and members of their community
about dementia, how it affects people’s lives and how they can make a positive difference to people living with dementia
in their community.
As a Dementia Aware Friend, you will have the opportunity to deliver information on dementia to the community through
informal talks, promoting the Memory Van and raising awareness through community events, displays and shows.
Training for the Dementia Aware Friends Project
We provide a free one day training program that equips the Dementia Aware Friend with all the information, skills and resources they need to speak to the community about dementia.
Key training points include:
• Education on dementia.
• Presentation skills.
• Dementia services and resources.
Dementia Aware Friends will also receive a file which includes a handbook, helpful hints and resources. Ongoing support and guidance will be offered as well as up-todate news and developments.
Who can become a Dementia Aware Friend?
To become a Dementia Aware Friend, you need to possess:
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• An interest in learning about the impact of dementia.
• Enthusiasm and confidence in delivering information and raising awareness in the community.
• To support the philosophy of AAWA.
• To be willing to participate in training.
If you feel you have what it takes to become a Dementia Aware Friend, please contact the Project Coordinator on 9388 2800 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.