Every year, Alzheimer’s Australia WA stands with those living with dementia and works to make the world a better place. We will always lead the way in awareness, education and transformation.
People affected by dementia and carers can provide a powerful voice for change and a perspective on dementia no one else can provide. As a Dementia Advocate, you will join others living with dementia in the Dementia Advocate Programme and become an influential voice that can make a difference in the WA community.
Alzheimer’s Australia WA values your voice and encourages you to share your story about dementia.
This helps to:
- Hear the voice of the consumer.
- Raise awareness of dementia and its impact on families.
- Increase community understanding about living with dementia.
- Reduce the stigma associated with dementia in our society.
- Help government and service providers recognise the needs of people living with dementia, their carers and families.
Dementia Aware Friends
Volunteers in this programme are trained to spread the message to friends, family and members of their community about dementia, how it affects people’s lives and how they can make a positive difference to people living with dementia in their community through informal talks and raising awareness through the community. The project is part of the WA Dementia-Friendly Communities Project.
The purpose of the project is to:
- Increase community understanding and awareness of dementia;
- Reduce the stigma associated with dementia;
- Create dementia-friendly communities that positively support people living with dementia including their families; and
- Inspire change in the attitude towards people with dementia.