Dementia Essentials (DE) is a Commonwealth Government initiative offering nationally recognised dementia care training to aged care workers throughout Australia.
As a Commonwealth funded initiative Dementia Essentials is fully funded and does not incur a fee to your organisation. All care workers in residential, respite and community care services and the wider health sector are eligible.
The current program is available in metropolitan Perth and throughout regional WA.
CHCAGE005 - Provide support for people living with dementia
- Examine the nature of dementia and it’s impacts
- Learn more about person centred care and effective communication strategies
- Identify unmet needs and develop effective responses
- Develop activities to promote well being
- Anticipate workforce issues and identify the community supports and services available
This unit is nationally recognised. Successful completion results in a Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency CHCAGE005 (above).
To achieve competency participants must complete an assessment and with their supervisor undertake an observation checklist based on their workplace experiences.
The unit is particularly relevant for aged care support workers, especially those new to the industry.
You will be able to meet with and discuss your experiences with colleagues and others involved in providing care to people with dementia.