Alzheimer’s Australia WA has an exciting new initiative to assist community organisations to develop staff in the specialised field of dementia care, the Dementia Champions (Community) Program. This program is part of the Dementia Partnership Project, which Alzheimer’s Australia WA (AAWA) has been commissioned to deliver by the Government of Western Australia Department of Health. Its primary aim is to build capacity within the community care sector to support the needs of people living with dementia with an emphasis on the use of a person-centred philosophy. (At this stage we are unable to offer this program to residential aged care staff).
The Dementia Champions program will assist staff to gain the knowledge, skills, information and materials to support the development of a person centred approach to community services for people living with dementia who are supported by community organisations.
The program will consist of access to specialist dementia training and AAWA’s extensive resources. There will also be ongoing mentoring and networking opportunities for the Dementia Champions as they develop their knowledge and skills and share these with their colleagues.
There will be two intakes of Dementia Champions per year, in February and August, with the Certificate IV in Dementia Practice studies commencing in March and September of each year. Places in the program will be limited to ten people, with no more than two staff from each community organisation per intake.
Dementia Champions will be supported by:
- A one day Dementia Champions introduction course;
- A full scholarship to undertake the Certificate IV in Dementia Practice: nationally accredited qualification is the only dementia-specific certificate IV currently available and will equip Dementia Champions with the knowledge and skills needed to provide their important role within their organisations;
- Fully subsidised access to all AAWA’s dementia education workshops;
- Complimentary attendance at the ‘Care & Cure’ lecture series;
- Complimentary attendance at the “Living with Dementia in the Community” symposium;
- Three Dementia Champions network meetings per year; and
- Ongoing mentoring and support from the Dementia Partnership Project.
Applications to become a Dementia Champion should be discussed with Senior Managers in community providers, as organisational support for the Dementia Champions role is critical to the success and effectiveness of the role within each organisation.
This is an exciting opportunity to provide leadership in enhancing the ways person-centred support can be offered by community organisations to people with dementia living in the community.
For further information about the Dementia Champions Program, please contact: Claire Farrar - (08) 9388 2800 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org