The Dementia Partnership Project is a partnership between the Department of Health in Western Australia and Alzheimer’s Australia WA which aims to enhance the experience and improve the quality of life of people living with dementia in the community who access support services.
The project’s primary aim will be to build capacity within the community care sector in a variety of ways, with a focus on assisting community care providers and health professionals to further develop their skills when responding to the needs of people living with dementia.
The project will not deliver direct care services but will work in collaboration with service providers, consumer groups and the wider community to improve care and support and promote sustainable outcomes with a priority given to the use of a person-centred philosophy.
The first phase is an opportunity to pilot our capacity building model with a range of organisations.
How will we support organisations?
The partnership team will work alongside community care partners to assist in the identification of areas to enhance support to clients living with dementia.
Emphasis will be placed on key areas of client support such as:
- Person centred approaches
- Dementia enabling environments
- Carer support
Who will be involved?
- People living with dementia who access community support services, their friends and family.
- Community care providers including:
- Assessment agencies
- Day centre staff
- Home care staff
- CEOs, managers, human resources
- Alzheimer’s Australia (WA)
- Department of Health (WA)
- Consumer groups and the wider community
Key Resources and activities
- Coaching and mentoring
- Education and Training
- Community Dementia Champions - There will be an opportunity for community support organisations to nominate staff for a full scholarship to enable staff to undertake the Certificate IV in Dementia Practice and become Community Dementia Champions.
- Community symposium - An annual event to share ideas and strategies to enhance the lives of the people who are living with dementia.
- Interactive website - A partnerships website will be developed, with access to resources, training and forums to assist in sharing of knowledge.
- Extensive resource library - Alzheimer’s WA has a well-stocked library, with free access to books, brochures, DVDs, journals and academic publications.